- 1 How do you photograph glossy paintings?
- 2 How do you photograph exterior paintings?
- 3 How do you photograph shiny oil paintings?
- 4 Is it better to scan or photograph art?
- 5 How do I photograph artwork on my iPhone?
- 6 How do I take photos of my art portfolio?
- 7 What is the best lens for photographing artwork?
- 8 How do you photograph shiny objects without reflection?
- 9 How do you take a picture of glass without reflection?
How do you photograph glossy paintings?
The In Depth Guide
- Cameras. I’m using a semi-pro DSLR but you will be able to achieve good results with any DSLR.
- Tripods. A tripod is required.
- Hang it, light it, shoot.
- Block out any light from all sources other than your lamps.
- Position the tripod directly in front of the art.
How do you photograph exterior paintings?
Diffused daylight with bright, overcast skies is best for photographing art outdoors. Try the open shade (a color correction filter might be needed to eliminate the bluish cast of shadows in daylight). Or, turn your painting at a 45 degree angle from the sun. (This usually works best for me).
How do you photograph shiny oil paintings?
Tilting Your Painting To Reduce Glare Easels generally lean back slightly, which can exacerbate glare on your canvases. Straighten your painting up to a 90% angle with the surface it is resting on. As you photograph, look for glare and if you see any, tip it slightly forward.
Is it better to scan or photograph art?
For simple works (basically those that are not acrylic or oils and do not have any embellishments or three dimensional aspect to them) you will actually usually get a better result through scanning than photography. You’ll get much more resolution, and a more evenly lit and predictable result.
How do I photograph artwork on my iPhone?
Artists: 8 Tips for Photographing Artwork With an iPhone
- Shoot Photos in JPEG Format.
- Consider the Background.
- Find the Good Light.
- If There’s No Good Light, Create It.
- Focus the Phone.
- Adjust the Brightness.
- Hold Your Cell Phone as Steady as Possible.
- Play With Editing Software.
How do I take photos of my art portfolio?
Place a light on each side of your artwork at a 45-degree angle. Make sure the light balance is for indoor or tungsten. Photograph each piece individually. Try to fill the camera frame with your work.
What is the best lens for photographing artwork?
A good choice of lens for photographing art is a 50mm or 100mm prime lens with decent close-focusing capability. Many people use macro lenses, not least because they create very little distortion at close range. A high-quality zoom will suffice at around portrait-length.
How do you photograph shiny objects without reflection?
How to Photograph Shiny Objects Without Glare
- Diffuse the Light.
- Create a Tabletop Studio.
- Change the angle you are shooting from.
- For larger objects, shoot in The Golden Hour or on an overcast day.
- Avoid objects that will reflect on the subject.
How do you take a picture of glass without reflection?
Position your camera slightly higher than you would to light a backlit glass product so that you are shooting slightly down at your product. This will eliminate reflections and allow for a flattering angle of your product. And as always, make sure that your product has been cleaned thoroughly.